As a pale white boy growing up in Florida, you learn how to deal with sunburns. Most people will say to take cool showers to relieve the heat, but that only temporarily alleviates symptoms. The problem is that the sun has evaporated the moisture from the skin. The answer to relieve the stinging and pain is to re-moisturize the skin. I've done this countless times and it always works.
As soon as possible, take a quick, cool shower to wash chlorine, salt water, sand, etc. from the skin.
- Quickly is important because you don't want to leave harsh soaps on your skin to dry it out more.
- Coolness will keep pores closed so soaps do not get into already dried out pores. DO NOT SCRUB!
Now's the hard part. Warm water will open the pores and re-hydrate the skin. Fill the tub with warm water and get in ... slowly. Bear the sting, it will go away. When it does, warm the water up as much as you can tolerate again. Do this a few times. Then just soak. When your fingers are wrinkled, you're hydrated!
As soon as you get out, dry off gently then slather aloe vera on the sun burnt areas to help heal. Then use a lanolin moisturizer on it to help retain the moisture.
Tip: Dab your skin dry with a soft towel instead of rubbing.
YOUR SKIN NEEDS TIME TO HEAL! After you go through this ritual, you might forget you're burnt. You'll still be red and somewhat sensitive, but you should have alleviated the constant stinging and pain. The problem is you forget that you're burnt, and scratch an itch, or go back into the sun, etc. Remember to protect your skin until the redness is gone!
If the stinging comes back, repeat the process and soak longer in the warm water. You should only have to do this once or twice during the course of a normal sunburn. For more sever burns, it may become a daily ritual.
When I tell people about this, they usually think I'm insane taking a warm bath with a sunburn. I promise it works. It relieves the stinging and pain, it shortens the sunburn, and it usually prevents blistering and reduces pealing.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades